The purpose of the Senior Draftsperson is to detail and/or check projects of all complexities, ensuring Customer and Manufacturing requirements are met or exceeded.
Also interacts directly with Engineering, Drafting Personnel, Sales (Project Manager), Purchasing (Materials Manager) and Manufacturing (Production Manager). May also be required to interact with District Managers, Builder Network and Outside suppliers of product.
The Senior Draftsperson is accountable for the following:
- Ensure that the detailing and/or checking of building orders are accurate and correct in accordance with the Contract Documents and Company standards.
- Ensure that building orders meet expected issue dates for our customers and manufacturing.
- Provide project coordination throughout the Drafting process and ensure that all inquiries are resolved promptly and in a courteous manner.
- Recommend improvements in steel connection design to suit manufacturing processes and industry standards.
- Recommend improvements in cladding and trim design to suit manufacturing processes and industry standards.
- Recommend solutions to job site complications due to errors relating to the steel building system
The Senior Draftsperson is responsible for performing the following:
- Detail and check the structural and cladding components for buildings of all complexities by utilizing current drafting practices and standards as established by the Company.
- Prepare preliminary and general arrangement drawings for structural and cladding.
- Provide a complete and accurate manufacturing package (i.e. Shop Drawings, Material Cut Lists, Bill of Material Lists).
- Maintain effective communications via phone, email, and otherwise, with internal and external customers.
- Occasional communication with the customer, Architect or Project Engineer for technical information when required.
- Work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Ensure that quality is built into the product at each stage of design.
- Perform other related tasks which may be assigned.
Functional Skill Requirements
- Must be proficient in using AutoCAD 2017, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Outlook.
- Experience in using a 3D steel detailing software such as Autodesk Advance Steel is an asset.
- Must have the ability to read and interpret Architectural and Structural drawings.
- Must have good knowledge in standard drafting practices, manufacturing practices, and construction erection practices.
- Must be detail oriented and self motivating.
- Promptness and good time management skills are an asset.
- Promotes positive communication skills to liaise with other employees to enable the Company to achieve its goals and objectives.
- Must be proactive and strive to improve methods and procedures to gain efficiency.
Education and experience
- Post-Secondary school diploma in Architectural Technology or Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent.
- Minimum 10 years experience in Structural Steel Detailing and Checking in structural steel buildings.
Company: Steelway Building Systems